Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Beautiful Things

It's storming outside.

Downpour, thunder, lightening, the whole works. I do love a good storm...except when we're on week three of stormy weather. Yes, it's unofficially Switzerland's monsoon season. Err, minus the monsoons.

My dad called me last week to say he was golfing with a European fellow, and when finding out Dan and I were in Switzerland, the man commented: "Ah Switzerland, beautiful country. Crappy weather." Yes, that about sums it up.

So instead of feeling droll about the weather, I thought I'd post a few beautiful things that are acting as my sunshine these days.

The first is that we have booked a Paris trip for the beginning of July. Oh yes! God I love Paris. Every cliche exists for a reason and this is my fourth time going; I can hardly wait to bite into my flaky, daily breakfast, pain au chocolat, and picnic under the Eiffel Tower, take LB to the Versailles gardens (we're skipping the actual Palace this time, because lord there is only so many times a person can be interested in the Hall of Mirrors), and avoid any and all attractions pertaining to Napoleon. Because, ugh, no Dan I don't care about that short little dude who needed to lift his leg and piss all over Europe and claim it as his own. I CARED THE FIRST THREE TIMES, NOT ANYMORE. I'm also excited to just be in Paris.

There is still so much of Europe we haven't seen. Scotland was a contender for I wanted to shut myself away in a stone cottage on a moor, teach LB to skip stones on a Loch, while Dan bombed around the countryside getting pissed at distilleries. It was a beautiful idea, but holy: it costs a lot of money to go get drunk in Scotland while your wife and daughter are skipping stones on a Loch. Since we fail at long-term vacation planning, that was out for our July holiday.

Then there was Sweden. Oh Sweden, I wanted to stay in a forest hotel. As in, the hotel is built INTO THE TREES. See above, re: shit, it costs a lot to sleep like Tarzan for a few nights.

Dan refuses to go back to Italy anymore because he's too Swiss, and Italy literally causes his brain to short circuit.

WHY ISN'T THE TRAIN HERE?
WHY IS IT SO DIRTY?
WHY DOESN'T ANYTHING WORK?
WHY ARE CHILDREN STILL PARTYING IN THE PIAZZA AT 11:30 PM?

Dan floated Germany, and I was all, "Deutsch, pretzels, and bratwurst...PASS."

So Paris it is, and oh I am glad.

The next thing making me happy are the following:

Angle One

Angle Two

So the first thing I'll draw your attention to is the make-up bag with the birds on it. I don't own a lot of make-up, but I learnt my lesson (see Cheap Nudes, somewhere in the archives...), so the little bit of make-up I own is good stuff, and I was keeping that good stuff in a ratty cardboard box. 

Fail.

I was out last Saturday, saw this bag, and snatched it up. Yes, a cardboard box is utilitarian but there's nothing beautiful about it, and I have been making a concerted effort lately that when it's time to replace something, I'm replacing it with the most beautiful option I can find. 

This brings me to the next item, which is the blue-flowered placemat. LB is eating at the table now, and after she dragged her cloth placemat through her dinner for the fifth time, I thought, 'It's time for plastic placemats!' 

Except, dudes, plastic placemats are capital U ugly. I did not want Tweety Bird, Cars, Tinkerbell, or farm animals at my dinner table. So I found these plastic placemats by Rice DK and boom. Problem solved.

Yes, I am fully willing to admit I am a snob when it comes to kid stuff. An utter snob. Which brings us to the third item: LB's new pj's. I have this thing where I think that children should be dressed just like little well-groomed adults. What I mean by this is I don't want her wearing anything that is ugly as fuck and clearly made 'for kids'. That means no Disney characters on her clothes, no juvenile prints, and NO SWEATPANTS IN PUBLIC.

You see? I am a snob. This snobbery is my financial burden to bear, for I'm sure there are a lot of parents out there who are shaking their head a little ol' fiscally irresponsible me because everything I categorised above is cheap. And kids grow fast.

And I don't care! 

So LB outgrew most of her jammies, and I needed to find her new ones that fit within my snobby parameters. This whale number did the trick. In fact, I also asked if they carried them in adult sizes, because damn, I totally want them too.

But they didn't, so I bought some peonies instead. 

My favourite flower, they're in season, enough said. 

I always have fresh flowers in the house lately, because why not. Fresh blooms are beautiful, and beauty is the point of life.

The end.

P.S. What's bringing you guys sunshine, if you're living under clouds?




5 comments:

T said...

Those PJs are sweet! I put B in proper clothes at the start of the day, but my rule is that if I have to change him more than twice - he can wear a sleeper if we're not going anywhere special:P I also try to avoid the overly "cute" fluffy bunny type clothes.

My sunshine (although it has been pretty sunny here) is fresh flowers and fruit lately. I agree with you on replacing things with beauty. I've been slowly gathering an eclectic amount of pottery over the last few years. My current love is my new cream and sugar set! Although I haven't had anyone over yet to actually use the little cream pitcher yet :)

Caitie said...

T--totally! We wear cozy clothes at home a lot (especially with this shit weather) and also for playgrounds and play centers. I'm not totally insane! Haha! Just a little bit ;-) Pottery is a cool thing to collect! Can't wait to see it :-)

Mom said...

Well, for rainy days, we thought we should tear the bathroom floors out :-) Now, we have to replace them...haha

Anonymous said...

I hear you about beautiful country, crappy weather - weather is the one THING I miss most about Kamloops. :(

I love Paris, too. Can also recommend Budapest and (through my parents) Barcelona - which is next on my list of city tours. But what is really next on my list is a FREAKING ALL-INCLUSIVE BEACH HOLIDAY, SANS KIDS!!!! Yeah, that's not going to happen any time soon...

With regard to the little people clothes: gets even more difficult once they refuse to leave the house in anything other than their Cinderella dress-up dress! LOL

xx Crystal

Caitie said...

Budapest! Yes! We were going to go there when I found out I was expecting LB! Totally forgot about it! Good tip :-) Yes, I am relishing this authority I have over her wardrobe, because she's going to want to start choosing for herself soon enough; guess I'll probably have to allow that, eh? Haha!